The City of Durham Solid Waste Department uses RouteSmart to balance people, performance, and processes – and transform challenges into successes.
Faced with budgetary pressures and aggressive performance goals, the City of Durham, North Carolina’s Solid Waste Department (SWD) was faced with a conundrum of operational and departmental issues:
- The commercial waste collection program was losing money and being threatened with the elimination of positions
- The previously outsourced recycling program was being brought in-house to better manage resources, budget, and customer service
- The overall operating budget for SWD wasn’t increasing, due to fiscal pressures in other areas of the municipal budget
Durham SWD’s route management and planning were still done the old fashioned way, without the benefit of any contemporary software tools. So SWD turned to RouteSmart automated routing solutions to help:
- Rebalance the workload across all operating divisions
- Decrease, wherever possible, the number of collection vehicles required to serve the house-count
- Integrate with mobile data collection devices to hold crews accountable to the collection routes
In one area alone, SWD’s daily collection routes were reduced from 26 to 18 – a 30% improvement over previously manually planned and administered routes. Additionally, customer service was also improved and realized through fewer missed streets/stops and an the establishment of a feedback loop for drivers to report issues such as reporting potholes or other service issues in the field.